Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pottermore

Alright, so by now much of the literary world knows about Pottermore. This site was launched about a week ago and will be fully launched in October. Did I mention that I LOVE Harry Potter? Did I mention that I also love October? Yes, I was one of the people who always had to be at a midnight release party at my local Barns and Noble. I finally got smart and went to Wal-Mart towards the end of the release dates for the books because the experience was a lot smoother. Forget buying the books on Amazon. Typically Amazon has flawless packaging for books, but there was a time that my brother got burned when his copy arrived in the mail. Like many book bloggers out there, I tend to be a bit anal about my books that I purchase. I want to thoroughly look over the book before I add it to my collection at home. I am also a card carrying member of being a fan fiction writer for Harry Potter while I was in high school. It takes me back to the days of Cassandra Claire writing Harry Potter fan fiction. I was always a Hermione/Draco or Hermione/Italian!Blaise Zabini fan. Anyone? No? I thought not. Anyway….


At first I was a little confused about what this site would be exactly. Was it going to be her version of the Leaky Cauldron where we would finally get all the background information that is stored in J.K. Rowling’s notebooks? The page was described as being a sort of interactive experience with other readers for the series. I then wondered if it would be like a World of Warcraft (WOW) online game only Harry Potter style. Err…I would honestly try it. I know that there have been articles posting on many other book blogs, but I thought I would add one more to the mix.

It definitely is a change for the publishing industry. To be honest, I am not sure who would be reaping most of the sales money for the e-book formats that can be sold through this site, but I know that it is not her publishers that she has used in the past. Look at all the people that have become very successful authors when they go the self publishing route for ebooks. Is it right that Rowling’s publishers will receive little to no money for the ebook versions?


It took me a couple of days, but I definitely added my email to Pottermore to get more information when it becomes available. I am very excited about the idea of purchasing the books to put on my Kindle. It's interesting to think that there will be many people (kids especially) who read Harry Potter for the first time with an e-book format. I think that a lot of people who own the actual books will also purchase the books for an e-reader. I know I will, and I currently have the paperbacks, hardcover, and the British paperback versions. Over kill? Yes.

I also want to add this link that has a sneak peak about what the main page will look like. There were so many fun things to find on J.K. Rowling's other site and I don't think that this will be any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment