Friday, July 1, 2011

Camp Nanowrimo

So, for all of you that are into writing or have participated in Nanowrimo before, this is the email that I received sometime in the middle of May:

“Greetings, Wrimos!
If you're holding hot coffee, I'd recommend you put it down. If you're standing, please sit.

I have potentially explosive news: we're launching Camp NaNoWriMo this summer! As in, mere months from this very moment!

Some of you may be wondering, "What is this camp you speak of? Will there be mosquitoes?"

This camp-themed version of National Novel Writing Month enables participants to write a novel in a month other than November. You bring the words and we'll meet you there with the encouragement, tracking tools, and a tent!

For everyone who has ever wanted to do NaNo multiple times a year—or for those who simply can't make a November novel work—welcome to Camp NaNoWriMo! The plot bunnies will frolic, the sun will warm your half-baked plot, and yes... there will probably be mosquitoes.

To pay for all these building materials, we're holding a summer fundraising drive starting May 25. More awesome goodies at more levels than ever before! (Two words: bumper sticker. For the first time in NaNo history!)

Stay tuned for more camp news and details about the upcoming fundraiser. In the meantime, I've still got some canoes to hollow out.

Chop chop!

Lindsey”


First off, for the people who don’t know what Nanowrimo is, it is where thousands of writers try to write 50,000 words in one month. The month that this is usually held in is November.
The smart people at Nanowrimo have decided to put on a summer form of Nanowrimo for all of us people who cannot participate in November. Perhaps ‘cannot’ is the wrong word for it. I have participated three times and failed miserably all three times. I do get better and better at it. My first time I think I got over 4,000 words and the third time around I got around 20,000 words. The third time I started with over 4,000 words, but I would have just added that to the word count of 50,000 that was needed so it wouldn’t really be cheating. Right?

Anyway, how many of you are in? I am going to participate in August because I am a gluten for punishment. I am also curious about your experiences with Nanowrimo and how many books that we are reading started as a Nanowrimo. I am hearing more and more authors say that a certain book started out as a Nanowrimo.



If you want/need to register


Here is the link to the official nanowrimo webpage

Happy plotting and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment